From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal for advanced useflag-syntax
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 10:39:05
1 * Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> schrieb:
2 > On Monday 07 August 2006 21:44, W.Kenworthy wrote:
3 > > My personal opinion is that whilst things like modular X are good for
4 > > developers, they are not so good for users - particularly gentoo users.
5 >
6 > we provide meta packages (X/kde/gnome/etc...) for the split packages
7 > so users can just emerge 1 package to get them all
8 >
9 > on one machine i like to run kde so the meta packages are a godsend ...
10 > yet on another machine, i only want k3b/kmail and nothing else so the
11 > split packages too are a godsend :)
12
13 Very good point.
14 What's best here is a matter of personal taste or individual
15 system requirements.
16
17 Gentoo's strength comes from respecting those user wishes.
18 If you stop doing that, you aren't better then all these
19 Evil-Binary-Distros (TM) ;-P
22 cu
23 --
25 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
27 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
28 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
29 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
30 http://patches.metux.de/
32 --
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list