From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Any official position from Gentoo about systemd, mdev and udev-static ?
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 15:49:14
1 On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Sylvain Alain <d2racing911@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi everyone, I don't want to start a flamewar on that subject, but I would
3 > like to know if there's any official position about the current situation.
4
5 There is not. But thanks for starting the flamewar just the same. :)
8 > I saw on the forum this thread :
9 > https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-934678-highlight-.html and maybe it
10 > could be part of a solution to have OpenRC and udev together.
13 I'm sure nobody would object to somebody putting it in the tree -
14 somebody just has to do it, or start their own overlay. The systemd
15 folks would seem to prefer to just bundle udev with systemd anyway,
16 making it a virtual.
17
18 Gentoo is about choice.
19
20 Perhaps some day installing a sysvinit implementation will be like
21 installing a cron daemon. Or, perhaps it will become a nightmare as
22 the various forks all strive to make life as difficult as possible for
23 anybody using the "wrong" one.
24
25 > So, is there any developments lately ?
26
27 Uh, probably only about 500 emails in the last two months. I'd
28 suggest reading the archives, but they'll probably look like the
29 archives on every other distro -dev mailing list.
30
31 Rich