From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: Go ebuilds bundling multiple upstream sources
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 15:48:55
1 On 06/29/2015 11:25 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
2 >
3 > Considering that Go binaries are statically linked, you'll end up with a
4 > bunch of Go libraries installed that you don't need during run-time.
7 They'll eventually give this up, because everyone does when their
8 language starts seeing serious use. I won't pretend that's a real
9 argument though.
10
11 Suppose ten years from now everything is written in Go. I have 500
12 statically linked Go packages on my system, all of whose dependencies
13 were built and compiled-in at install time. Now someone finds a remote
14 root vulnerability in the go-openssl library. I know some of the
15 packages I have installed were built against it. What do I do?
16
17 At least with the useless dev-go/go-openssl installed, I can use
18 subslots to rebuild everything after an upgrade to the fixed version.