From: Manson <manson@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Loading spec packet failed, trying to wing it ... boot fails on IBM server
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 22:26:23
1 I experienced the same exact thing and i'll be damned if it wasnt my CDROM drive ... kind of ... it is a combination of just the "right" hardware and the base of it is the Award BIOS ... not the revision of the "s/w" in it but the actual version of the BIOS ... more than likely if you look at the Award BIOS revision # it is version 6.00 or similar. And you are probably running a SCSI card ... Symbios or Adaptec and a scsi CDROM. This is a documented problem with isolinux. Mandrake only uses the isolinux to boot cd #2 and floppy emulation to boot disc #1. Easiest solution is put an IDE CD in until you get the install complete and then pull it when your done.
2
3 I searched the net over and over and over looking for a solution to the problem and that is the only resolution I could come up with and that was purely out of deduction because no one ever documented it anywhere else.
4 Laterz
5 Manson
6 Sparc Dev
7