From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE Linux 2.6.x
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:24:08
1 On Wednesday 22 October 2003 20:27, C. Brewer wrote:
2 >
3 > Well I did not say my way was a definative answer, merely a suggestion. I
4 > believe you meant to say the kernel sources ebuild provides that link,
5 > which Patrick suggested that could be easily put out of date, and Spider
6 > suggested he might not keep the sources for. But how is my asking the link
7 > get dropped "awkward and notworking"? You just pointed out the link doesn't
8 > change if it preexists, so the benefit is that your unattended install just
9 > dumped your modules into the wrong place, when you have it pointing at the
10 > wrong kernel. So if you need to keep changing this link back and forth to
11 > suit where the modules go, doesn't this become user preference rather than
12 > system preference?
15 You need to have the sources anyway to build a module. What is esp.
16 problematic is first installs. One should install a kernel before the final
17 is finished (the install man). Normally one also wants to install the modules
18 for this kernel. Once people have at least one running kernel, they can at
19 least fallback to it.
20
21 > There is no easy answer to this problem, but it seems nobody want to tackle
22 > it either( along with multiple versions of the same modules packages.)
23
24 This is something that is high on my wishlist (it should even be doable).
25
26 Paul
29 Paul de Vrieze
30 Gentoo Developer