From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: who renamed adsl-start to pppoe-start and why
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 01:58:46
1 060331 Jakub Moc wrote:
2 > Sven Köhler wrote:
3 >> I don't when the init.d-script disappeared from the ebuilds:
4 >> i still used it and didn't know about the baselayout-support for pppoe.
5 > May I suggest reading the fine handbook?
6 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=4&chap=3#doc_chap4
7
8 Yes, it's beautiful,
9 but it doesn't tell you in which file to enter the lines :
10
11 config_eth0=( "adsl" )
12 adsl_user_eth0="username"
13
14 Where do you put them ? And yes, I have had a look in /etc/ppp
15 & all I can see is pppoe.conf , which doesn't look like that.
16 I handled the change by editing /etc/init.d/rp-pppoe , which now says :
17
18 depend() {
19 use net
20 before ntpd
21 after domainname
22 }
23
24 start() {
25 ebegin "Starting pppoe (adsl)"
26 start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /usr/sbin/pppoe-start
27 eend $?
28 }
29
30 stop() {
31 ebegin "Stopping pppoe (adsl)"
32 start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /usr/sbin/pppoe-stop
33 eend $?
34 }
35
36 and my machine connects to the Internet correctly at every boot.
37
38 Really, this change has not been adequately documented or publicised:
39 that does happen sometimes, but when it does, it needs attention.
40
41 Thanks as always to the devs for their volunteer work.
45 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
46 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
47 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
48 --
49 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list