From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GTK und GTK2 Use Flag
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 23:33:07
1 On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 01:13:12AM +0200, foser wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 16:29 -0600, Brian Harring wrote:
3 > > If you use the approach I've laid out (yes, not new, I laid it out in
4 > > 24439) you wouldn't have to dick around with deprecating a version,
5 > > nor essentially mandating what version is default. You'd leave the
6 > > total control over what versions the user wants to deal with in the
7 > > hands of the _users_, and what versions the package supports would
8 > > be represented properly/clearly in the IUSE.
9 >
10 > I know the proposed system obviously and it's still flawed in that
11 > really doesn't deal with USE flag versioning in a consistent,
12 > predictable way.
13 State how it's flawed please. If you're going to argue this is a
14 repeat of the gtk2/gtk fiasco that's in the tree currently, please
15 validate how/why it is. The approach detailed above, and in aug '04
16 *is* the most flexible approach with use flags that addresses user
17 needs, and is extensible (gtk3).
18
19 > > So far... I've not really heard a good reason aside from "it's in
20 > > place, we'll just deprecate gtk v1 instead of clean it up" for why
21 > > this cannot be corrected _now_, or really in the past.
22 >
23 > That is all the reason needed here. I'm no biggie on the current
24 > situation (altough if people actually read the USE flag descriptions it
25 > wouldn't be half the issue), but interchanging to be deprecated
26 > behaviour with something just as bad is a regression. I'll post more on
27 > some changes that I'd like to see implemented for this later.
28 >
29 > And the issue never has been about changing a few occurances in the
30 > tree.
31
32 Well, the issue is what then? It's an often requested change. While
33 people *should* know wth they're flipping on via looking in use.desc,
34 use flags *should* be relatively sane/clear in their implications, at
35 least on a general scale.
36 ~brian