From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Replacing einfo with elog
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 21:56:41
1 For the impatient reader:
2 Ebuilds should stop using einfo() for important messages and use elog()
3 instead.
4
5 Rationale:
6 I assume most of you are already aware of the new elog framework in
7 portage-2.1 for handling ebuild messages (like sending them by
8 mail/syslog or just storing them for later review).
9 This works very well, except that currently if you enable einfo logging
10 the user will be swamped with many status messages ("updating
11 foo", "removing bar") that might be interesting when you watch the build
12 output but are rather useless once the build is done.
13 To avoid this information overflow einfo messages aren't logged in the
14 default portage config, but that means that right now users will only
15 see ewarn and eerror messages and miss some einfos that might be
16 important.
17 To fix this problem a new function elog() was added in portage-2.1 to
18 close the gap between einfo and ewarn. THe reason this wasn't advertised
19 until now is that it couldn't be used in the tree as the function didn't
20 exist for people still on portage-2.0. A few minutes ago I committed the
21 attached patch to base/profile.bashrc so this is no longer an issue
22 (for 2.0 users elog is merely an alias to einfo). So from now on please
23 use elog() for any messages the user should read and use einfo() only
24 for status/progress messages that have no use once the build is
25 completed.
26
27 I'll get the relevant docs updated in the next days.
28
29 Marius
34 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
35 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.