From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal for advanced useflag-syntax
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 09:07:00
1 On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 09:54:18AM +0200, Simon Stelling wrote:
2 > Enrico Weigelt wrote:
3 > >For example: mplayer
4 > >It has it's gui-less player and an gtk-based frontend in one package.
5 > >We should split this into two packages: mplayer and gmplayer.
6 > >The chances to get this done in the upstream *before* some major
7 > >distro like gentoo does the split by its own are quite low.
8 >
9 > Not quite true. In reality, they're just the same. mplayer simply checks
10 > whether it was called as mplayer or gmplayer. So you not only have two
11 > programs in one package, but even in one binary. Changing this behaviour
12 > has nothing to do with packaging and is really upstream's responsibility,
13 > IMHO.
14
15 Additionally... once you start down that path, the changes to pkgs
16 become less then minor. Some are simple, some ain't.
17
18 Personally, I hate that approach- ignoring any political/warring
19 idiocy, my main issue with debian is the choice to split upstream
20 packages into multiple sub packages. Makes things a pain in the ass
21 to what you want/need and makes for fun lock-step dependencies between
22 the subpackages.
23
24 ~harring