From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] openrc 0.12 - netifrc/newnet mix-up
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 15:28:36
1 On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina
2 <zerochaos@g.o> wrote:
3 > I can honestly say most of the time when setup my arm systems I'm
4 > unpacking the arm stage3 on an amd64 and then booting the arm device
5 > with the base stage3 and fixing things from there. I suppose it is
6 > possible to use qemu to install things, as long as I don't mind
7 > pretending it's 1999 due to the slow emulation speeds... Yeah, I really
8 > don't see an improvement here. It works fine for "I'm an amd64 user and
9 > that's all I'll ever use" but when you start talking about smaller
10 > arches it really starts to become a hassle imho.
11
12 Ok, now the concern is becoming more clear. You're intending to boot
13 directly to the stage3 and not chroot into it, and so you want the
14 stage3 to be a fully-functional userspace, though you don't actually
15 need it to contain a kernel/bootloader.
16
17 How do you even log into the stage3? Do we not disable the root
18 password by default?
19
20 Can you boot off of the minimal install image instead? Not sure if we
21 have one of those for ARM. Actually, any boot image that sets up a
22 network and supports chroot would work fine for your purposes. I do
23 realize that many (all?) ARM platforms don't have a flexible
24 bootloader like x86 typically does - so I'll let you speak to what
25 makes sense here.
26
27 Following the handbook, the network is established by the boot CD and
28 all you do before chrooting is copy over your resolv.conf. In that
29 environment there is no need to have a networking system pre-installed
30 on the stage3.
31
32 Oh, and if I'm not mistaken the stage3 is based on the system set
33 which is established by the profile, so if it made sense to keep
34 networking around for ARM that would be an option.
35
36 Rich