From: "Sven Köhler" <skoehler@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: bootstrapping since gcc 3.4 is stable
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 13:56:57
1 >> I have no clue, what "bootstrap.sh" is for anymore.
2 >> For me, Installing gentoo was always like this:
3 >
4 > Ok, let me remind all. Stage 1 is a minimal system that is mainly built
5 > statically with the sole purpose of being suitable to build a working system
6 > from. It contains a cripled compiler as one of the first things it does is
7 > make a proper one. After that the original compiler should be gone. While
8 > some recompiling is needed because of circular dependencies between libc and
9 > gcc, this should be no issue. After the bootstrap has been run, one should
10 > have a proper minimal building environment that should be able to build all
11 > packages (except for some assumptions on available tools). This minimal
12 > environment is called stage 2.
13 >
14 > Stage 2 should not contain any trace of the bootstrap compiler. If the
15 > bootstrap compiler was a 3.3.x version and the final one a 3.4.x version,
16 > there should be no 3.3.x version remaining. Be aware though that if the
17 > profile does not offer a 3.4 compiler the final will be a 3.3 compiler. If
18 > desired the profile should be changed before running bootstrap.sh
19
20 I think that i clearly explained several times, that bootstrap.sh
21 installs gcc 3.4 _without_ removing the crippled gcc 3.3 that came with
22 stage1.
23
24 Mike Frysinger is talking about "choice" and ignores me if i tell him,
25 that the "emerge -e system" uses the crippled gcc 3.3 for the first 10
26 packages until "emerge -e system" finally rebuilds gcc 3.3 (only due to
27 some sideeffects!!! namely the dependy of gcc 3.4 on libstdc++-v3 OR gcc
28 3.3).
29
30 >> Mike is telling me, that the 2006.0 tarballs will contain gcc-3.4.
31 >> Then he's telling me, that the problem, that Im trying to point out, is
32 >> going to vanish with the release of the 2006.0 tarballs. Well, yes,
33 >> until the next gcc-slot becomes stable. So the problem is not fixed,
34 >> just moved to the future again.
35 >
36 > If a stage1 install does not remove a 3.3.x bootstrap compiler when a 3.4 is
37 > used as the main, that is a bug in the bootstrap script. As such it should be
38 > fixed.
39
40 So i see that you seem to agree with me! The crippled gcc contained in
41 the stage1 has to be removed by bootstrap.sh - and this is not done
42 automatically by the steps that bootstrap.sh performs.