From: MAL <mal@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] grub hdd references
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 04:10:57
1 Something I noticed when installing gentoo on my machine, that would indicate that the Gentoo documentation is a bit wrong, in reference to it's explaination of
2 grub syntax.
3
4 The layout of my IDE drives are:
5
6 Primary IDE chain:
7 Master: 8GB HDD (Windows)
8 Slave: CD Writer
9
10 Secondary IDE chain:
11 Master: 45GB HDD (Linux)
12 hdc1: boot
13 hdc2: swap
14 hdc3: root
15 Slave: N/A
18 I invoke grub, as per the instructions and wanting to install it to the primary master, pointing to linux on the secondary master, I enter the command:
19
20 root (hd2,0)
21
22 expecting this to select hdc1, as the documentation describes.. it doesn't. It tells me that that partition doesn't exist.
23 Instead I have to use: root (hd1,0).
24
25 I worked this out, (assuming that grub just counts hard drives along the chain and numbers them sequentially, rather than the hda->hd0, hdc->hd2 mappings that
26 the docs indicate), newer users might not... documentation change?
27
28 MAL