From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Where to put prerelease vanilla kernels?
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:38:27
1 On Thursday 24 July 2003 15:07, Matt Rickard wrote:
2 > > I fully support the opinions stated above, and I simply cannot
3 > > comprehend what the big deal with ~arch masking vanilla-sources is.
4 > > Even *considering* the option of a separate package is ridiculous. As
5 > > long as developers are careful enough to not remove the ~arch mask
6 > > from any _pre kernel, I am perfectly fine, and I believe there
7 > > wouldn't be anyone who isn't fine. What are we trying to do-- make
8 > > sure people who insist on running the *unstable* profile actually
9 > > don't get the "unstable" sources.
10 >
11 > Well the fact is that an unstable kernel can be a whole lot more
12 > problematic than an unstable userland package. With userland, if it
13 > crashes, oh well, you can start it up again. With an unstable kernel
14 > you run the risk of hard locks and corrupted filesystems.
15
16 As far as I know we don't actually compile any kernel automatically. That
17 means that it still requires user action to actually install a prekernel.
18 That means that a user must actually decide on running a prekernel
19
20 Paul
23 Paul de Vrieze
24 Researcher