From: "Thomas M. Beaudry" <k8la@××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Mailers, Mailers, Mailers!!!
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 04:16:00
1 >However, I do differ in opinion from Grant. I would prefer that
2 >anything that is /usr/bin/mail works as expected, and that in the
3 >Greater UNIX Picture sorta means using /usr/{lib,sbin}/sendmail. I
4 >think it's a bad thing to create some changes that go against user
5 >expectations.
6 >
7 I disagree for two reasons:
8
9 1. It's causing unneeded software to be installed. Wasted disc space,
10 something else to break, another means to be rooted, etc...
11
12 2. 'Go against user expectations' is rarely a valid argument. It
13 should only be used as a tie breaker when all other things are equal.
14 Otherwise, improvements, innovations, etc. get stifled because there
15 can be no major changes. If you want to help the user expecting to see
16 sendmail, install a dummy configuration file for it that informs him
17 that nail provides the functionality.