From: David Mallwitz <dave@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage2 super USE flag suggestin
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 10:54:39
1 Perhaps an easier solution would be to have more make.defaults for the
2 user to choose from. i.e...
3 make.defaults.server =
4 USE=" berkdb crypt cups encode gdbm ipv6 java libg++ libwww mikmod ncurses
5 nlspam pdflib python qtmt readline slang spell ssl tcpd xml2 "
6 make.defaults.workstation-full =
7 USE="apm arts avi berkdb crypt encode gdbm gif gpm gtk imlib
8 java jpeg kde libg++ libwww mikmod motif mpeg ncurses nls
9 oggvorbis opengl pam pdflib png python qt qtmt quicktime readline sdl
10 slang spell ssl svga tcpd truetype X xml2 xmms xv"
11
12 and some various subsets of the workstation profile...
13 make.defaults.workstation-minimal
14 make.defaults.workstation-gnome
15 make.defaults.workstation-kde
16 etc
17
18 This is just off the top of my head, not well researched.
19
20 Dave
23 Craig Joly said:
24 > A complaint that I've seen in the comments section of every single
25 > Gentoo review is "I tried to emerge VIM on my server and it wants to
26 > install X. Gentoo sucks!" or something along those lines. At first,
27 > the answer seems obvious:
28 > USE="-X" emerge vim
29 > It doesn't work, unless you happen to have the rest of your USE flags
30 > set exactly right. When you look at the dependancies in the ebuild,
31 > you find that it also can depend on gtk. All right:
32 > USE="-X -gtk" emerge vim
33 > Still wants to install X. Now, we start digging. And discover that
34 > python is causing the problem because it can depend on tcltk, which
35 > depends on X.
36 > USE="-X -gtk -tcltk" emerge vim
37 > This should work in all cases. As far as I can tell.
38 > Same problem with nethack and a few other programs. It's not a big
39 > deal for those of us who are willing to dig through all of the ebuilds
40 > looking for a stray dependency, just a pain in the ass, but it really
41 > sucks for new users who just want to set up a server.
42 >
43 > A possible solution: super USE flags, for want of a better name.
44 > Something along the lines of USE="noX", where
45 > noX=-X -gtk -gtk2 -qt -qtmt -tcltk -fltk -gnome -gnome-libs -kde
46 > -bonobo -xv -dga (any other toolkits, etc) nodb=-postgres -mysql
47 > -berkdb -gdbm -innodb (any other databases)
48 > nosound=-als -oss -esd -arts -oggvorbis (any other sound stuff)
49 > nofb=-directfb fbcon
50 > noscript=-perl -python -ruby -tcltk -guile
51 >
52 > I think you get the idea. That way, if you want to guarantee
53 > installing vim without X support:
54 > USE="noX" emerge vim
55 >
56 > What do you guys think.
57 >
58 > --
59 > Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.
61 > gentoo-dev mailing list
62 > gentoo-dev@g.o