From: Thierry Carrez <koon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Enterprise deployment tools
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 16:24:08
1 Hi folks,
2
3 I would like to get your opinion on Enterprise-oriented desktop
4 deployment tools for Gentoo Linux (or the lack of).
5
6 As a small company CIO, I deployed Gentoo on a small scale here but
7 quickly ran into scaling problems and the lack of tools to help.
8
9 There is no obvious way to freeze a Portage tree (or to design a
10 specific profile) for testing on a golden workstation, to build a set of
11 update packages (ServicePack) and push it to the workstations, or to
12 have centralized accountability of what's installed where. There is no
13 easy way to avoid having to keep a synchronized copy of the portage tree
14 on all systems, even when using yourown-binaries.
15
16 With automatic deployments, would we run into difficult-to-solve
17 etc-update problems ? Should/could the ServicePack system take care of
18 that ?
19
20 Even in a simpler setup (preprod > production) we don't have the tools
21 to push a software configuration change from a test machine to a
22 production one.
23
24 What tools are missing ? Is it our job to provide them ? Can it
25 reasonably be done ? Am I just wrong to want to use Gentoo in that
26 direction ?
27
28 Next week: Gentoo-as-a-metadistribution tools :)
31 Koon