From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Patches and the 2.4->2.6 move
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 02:34:30
1 I'd like some input on this:
2
3 I have a patch that fixes SSE problems on 2.4 kernels. However, on 2.6
4 kernels it breaks OpenGL (applications segfault).
5
6 Currently I'm applying this patch if /usr/src/linux is linked to a 2.4
7 kernel at compile-time.
8
9 This means that if a user emerges xfree when linked to a 2.4 kernel,
10 that user will need to remerge xfree after moving to 2.6 kernels. This
11 takes about 40 minutes on a ~2GHz x86. However, if this patch is not
12 applied, the bug will continue to exist for all Gentoo users on 2.4
13 kernels.
14
15 My request to you is:
16 1) Is this acceptable?
17 2) If not, what is a better solution? Dropping the patch entirely? Note
18 that I don't know Mesa/programming well enough to write a patch
19 compatible for both 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.
20
21 Thanks,
22 Donnie