From: Thibaud CANALE <thican@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Oz Tiram <oz.tiram@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] MATE project is now empty
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 14:55:07
1 On 2022-12-18T05:06:30+0000, Sam James <sam@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > > On 18 Dec 2022, at 03:13, Thibaud CANALE <thican@××××××.net> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > On 2022-12-15T20:10:30+0100, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 > >> Hello, everyone.
7 > >
8 > > Hello Michał,
9 > >
10 > >> The Gentoo MATE project [1] does not have any developers anymore.
11 > >> Please consider joining to keep it alive.
12 > >
13 > > I would like to volunteer, even if I am not very up to date with my last
14 > > contributions.
15 > > I currently pushed a PR[0] on Oz "oz123" N Tiram’s MATE repository[1]
16 > > which has as objective to upgrade to current Gentoo’s Portage tree and
17 > > to prepare for the next MATE release 1.28, which seems to be soon
18 > > enough.
19 > > Note: maybe some more reviewers could help.
20 > > I also hope it will be the opportunity to push into Gentoo’s tree.
21 > >
22 > > 0: https://github.com/oz123/mate-de-gentoo/pull/75
23 > > 1: https://github.com/oz123/mate-de-gentoo
24 >
25 > My suggestion is we start by not making PRs to the overlay and just
26 > start making them for ::gentoo, or we'll never break the cycle.
27 >
28 > (Once they land in the overlay for example, it becomes very easy
29 > to just lose motivation for getting them into Gentoo proper, etc.)
30
31 I agree, it just appended I was working on this PR before this
32 announcement.
33
34 > This sounds great, thanks for stepping up. I think it'd be a real shame
35 > if we lost MATE.
36
37 Also totally agree, I really like MATE, and I hope upstream could
38 success in its transition to Wayland, it will be so nice. Too bad I am
39 not skilled enough to contribute (oh boy I tried).
40
41 Thanks for your answer, Sam, so what about the PR? Should I propose it
42 to Gentoo through Github too?
43
44 Best regards,
48 Thibaud CANALE
49 thican [at] thican [dot] net
50 https://thican.net/
51 GPG: rsa4096 2013-10-14 485EF628CB85CDD4CB7CFF0D52F5127650733A18