From: Terje Kvernes <terjekv@××××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why the FHS can't be followed
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 15:55:16
1 Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o> writes:
2
3 [ ... ]
4
5 > And since we've come to the conclusion we can't put it in /opt,
6 > /usr/kde/2,3 (or equivalent) is the only option left. The fhs
7 > doesn't provide for having more than one version of a package
8 > installed at a time but we have to do it with qt2/3 and kdelibs2/3
9 > (and gnome 1.4/2). I prefer that option over 100% FHS compliance.
10
11 very well put, and I wholeheartedly agree. 100% FHS compliance is
12 neat, if it would provide a solution for these problems. since it
13 doesn't, one has to look outside the FHS and find a solution that
14 causes the least bit of stress. and this has been achieved with
15 Gentoo beyond a shadow of a doubt. great work!
16
17 > End rant mode. I guess I just had leftover frustration stored from
18 > the time I actually tried to make this work. Maybe we can put a
19 > version of this in a FAQ somewhere because this isn't the first time
20 > this question has been asked. Maybe if that fhs guy saw it he'd
21 > think twice before blaming us. The fhs just doesn't accomodate
22 > certain things.
23
24 yup, if anyone is unhappy, make them provide an alternative.
27 Terje