From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@g.o>
Cc: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>, Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] Breaking up the beast known as app-games
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 01:08:38
1 On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 02:06, Luke-Jr wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Unless I'm mistaken, the only purpose of categories is to make it easier to
6 > find ebuilds either with tab completion or a GUI tree.
9 Well, the other idea is to have things a bit more structured. Sure,
10 some things belong to more categories than one, but most if not all
11 of the times it is more suited in one, so we can have it there.
12
13 I never was fond of the 'flat' structure, as it in my opinion will
14 make things more difficult. Where you can now just do:
15
16 $ ls /usr/portage/x11-themes/
17
18 to see what themes X there is, you will either have to search for
19 'theme' and hope you do not get buried under the load, or you will
20 have to first dig through another file for the 'virtual category',
21 and then search for that. It will also be slower then the 'ls'
22 alternative.
23
24 Further, maintaining will also get a bigger headache, as you will
25 have to keep updated as 'virtual categories' are added and changed,
26 and maintain the not so short to too damn long list for each
27 package.
28
29 But all above have still nothing to do with:
30
31 1) I see no issue with 'foo/bar' and 'zar/bar' packages, as portage
32 will get the DEPEND right, and it is really not that a train smash for
33 the user.
34
35 2) I still am fairly sure there is no policy that say you cannot
36 have 1), as you wanted to relay.
37
38 3) Except if changed, the policy 'was' that all package names should
39 be lower case ... guess nobody bother about that one 8)
42 Lastly, I really do not see the gain in dumping all packages starting
43 with 'a' into a[0-9]. I have never been a Slackware fan (local history
44 that I am not going to go into now), but every time I wanted to browse
45 their packages (or Suse for that matter), its a rather mission to
46 figure out where what is, especially if you do not know the exact name
47 of the package. MDK/RH is a bit better, but the 20 pages with a 'ls'
48 also tend to make it a schlep - Gentoo has been fairly easy to find
49 most things when I started (did not have the 'emerge -s ...' back then.
50
51 Right, so maybe its because I came from before 'emerge -s', or maybe it
52 is because I mostly still navigate with 'cd' and 'ls'. I do however
53 feel that just dumping the categories as we have them now will be a
54 more in the wrong direction. Sure, you have editors, and then you have
55 a editor for java - where to put it? If not a plain text editor, but
56 rather something like rhide, anjuta, whatever, they are in dev-util.
57 Sure not the best place .. what about a new category 'dev-ide' ?
58 There is a few IDE's around these days.
59
60 Anyhow, just me rambling, flame away =)