From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: location of portage tree
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 09:24:04
1 On 29 March 2012 07:43, Aaron W. Swenson <titanofold@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > So, we're all getting way off topic and discussing reorganizing the
4 > whole enchilada.
5 >
6 > How about we all agree or disagree on the primary point: The Portage
7 > tree doesn't belong in /usr.
10 +1
13 > I believe that it does belong under /var/cache/.
14 >
15 > =0 # Not sure , semantically it doesn't make sense as its not behaving as
16 a caching mechanism of any kind and would rather /var/portage or
17 /var/lib/portage or something in that direction over /var/cache . I'd even
18 prefer /var/lib/repositories/portage over /var/cache/portage/
22 > We can go a bit further and make it /var/cache/gentoo-repos/portage/.
23 >
24 > That way Layman and friends can all make the move there quite simply
25 > without major infrastructure changes.
26 >
27 > The Portage PMS on it's next release would just do a 'mkdir
28 > /var/cache/gentoo-repos/portage/ && sync && rm -rf /usr/portage &&
29 > echo "Portage has moved"' on its next 'emerge --sync' while still
30 > looking in both locations for packages.
31 >
32 > I'd rather this change not be automatic, and should be driven by ENV
33 variables, and the new layout be a default layout for new systems, and
34 write an e-news article describing the default change and how to migrate to
35 the new layout for people who want to.
39 Kent
40
41 perl -e "print substr( \"edrgmaM SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3, 3 )
42 for ( 9,8,0,7,1,6,5,4,3,2 );"