From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] udev rules cleanup / merging rules files with other distros
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 08:43:19
1 On 9/5/07, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 10:34:05AM +0200, Matthias Schwarzott wrote:
3 > > So here we are:
4 > > In udev git-gtree suse and redhat rules are already merged.
5 > > But they use a different permission / group system than we have, they have
6 > > less groups and assign some desktop permissions via pam_console.
7 > Might want to talk to the Gentopia people, they were replacing the sucky
8 > pam_console with ConsoleKit, which is a partial solution - there are
9 > still Gentoo systems where neither pam_console nor ConsoleKit are
10 > wanted.
11 >
12 > > I also got all of our rules files (except 50-udev.rules) merged with what the
13 > > other distros use (already in git).
14 > >
15 > > Slackware has already started merging the rules with this "upstream" common
16 > > rules, and they also are more near to our approach by using groups for
17 > > audio/tape/cdrom/...
18 > > But I have not yet seen their rules yet. So for now we are on our own.
19 > >
20 > > So before doing to much work we should get a sane concept.
21 > > And for that concept we need:
22 > > * A (maybe formal) definition what each group should be used for
23 > > * what devices it contains (if not obvious)
24 > > * if permissions should be read/read-write for the group
25 > > * and nothing/read for world.
26 > >
27 > > The question arises as we use MODE=660 for most groups but upstream does 640
28 > > most of the time.
31 > > This are the groups.
32 > > 1. audio
33 > > All alsa and oss devices.
34 > > Rules are not contained in upstream rules - they will in future be installed
35 > > by media-libs/alsa-lib
36 > > And upstream split of file for also also does not contain this group
37 > > but sure it should keep MODE=660 / group audio
38 > > (Or should we still support oss without having alsa installed)
39 > What is upstreams behavior with this? Will their alsa-lib install
40 > something similar? I'm not up on ALSA stuff, does being in the audio
41 > group mean I can play music?
42 >
43 > > 2. cdrom
44 > > Used for all cdrom/cdwriter devices and for scsi also the associated sg
45 > > device.
46 > > MODE=660
47 > > Upstream has no such group - member of disk for them.
48 > How does upstream deal with expecting users to use burners?
49 > Plain CDROM mounting doesn't need the cdrom group, as /bin/mount is
50 > setuid, however special operations on CDs (like readcd/readom) should
51 > also be allowed to some users?
52 >
53 > > 3. cdrw
54 > > Only used for pktcdvd with MODE=660
55 > > Should this be merged into group cdrom?
56 > I think merge.
57 >
58 > > 4. disk
59 > > Contains every device with SUBSYSTEM==block, with MODE=660
60 > > the raw-devices (still needed?)
61 > > + some devices needed for ata-over-ethernet (with modes 220 or 440)
62 > > Upstream uses MODE=640 (Like old unix group for backup usage).
63 > The 'dump' backup case is the only one I'm aware of that's valid (and it
64 > can use 640).
65 > Why does ATAoE need user-level access? The 220/440 modes seem weird to
66 > me.
67 >
68 > > 5. floppy
69 > > The fd* devices, MODE=660
70 > > Upstream uses MODE=640
71 > Same field as cdrom group.
72 >
73 > > 6. lp
74 > > Used for all *lp* and parport devices with MODE=660
75 > > Upstream uses it same way.
76 > Might be a place for scanner usage, but CUPs for modern printing runs as
77 > a daemon, users should not need the lp access.
78
79 Because all of our users use cups...
82 > > 7. tape
83 > > Contains all tape devices with MODE=660.
84 > > Upstream has no such group - member of disk group.
85 > You know my standpoint on tape. It's a critical group for app-backup.
86 > I've actually got one further addition to it since we spoke yesterday,
87 > making the relevant sg devices owned by the tape group.
88 > That said, the backup usage of tape could be merged with disk - given
89 > that backup may use both of them, and backup apps tend to run with a lot
90 > of powers anyway (either as root for global FS access, or with the disk
91 > group for running 'dump').
92 >
93 > > 8. tty
94 > > Same usage as upstream (maybe only very slight changes)
95 > I don't know.
98 > > 9. usb
99 > > Devices for libusb (/dev/bus/usb/...) with MODE=664.
100 > > + legousbtower device
101 > > Upstream has no such group but has libusb stuff root:root with MODE=644
102 > Look at the additional rules installed by NUT (70-nut-usbups.rules).
103 > They all have the form of:
104 > SYSFS{idVendor}=="0463", SYSFS{idProduct}=="ffff", MODE="664", GROUP="nut"
105 > Thus the USB stuff should have a sane default, and then become more
106 > empowered by custom udev rules per application.
107 >
108 > > 10. uucp
109 > > serial devices, isdn and more for dialout usage MODE=660
110 > > Upstream uses it same way.
111 > I don't know.
112 >
113 > > 11. video
114 > > A lot of misc stuff: dri/card*, nvidia, 3dfx, framebuffer, ieee1394, v4l, dvb
115 > > with MODE=660
116 > > Upstream has no such group - they keep group at root and grant access via pam.
117 > I don't know.
118 >
119 > > Groups we do not use yet:
120 > > 12. kmem
121 > > Upstream uses it for /dev/mem /dev/kmem /dev/port with MODE=640
122 > > Should be ok to use - we have group=root, MODE=640 for now
123 > Should be sane to add, iirc it's needed for kexec right?
124 >
125 > --
126 > Robin Hugh Johnson
127 > Gentoo Linux Developer & Infra Guy
128 > E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
129 > GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85
133 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list