From: Ivan Melotte <ivanmelotte@××.be>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Generic/Modular PPP (for 56k, DSL)
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 14:37:39
Hi,

I'm wondering if it would be possible to make the ppp scripts more
generic. I looked at /etc/init.d/net.ppp0 and noticed that this script
is merely used for making connections through "normal" modems.

Wouldn't it be better if /etc/init.d/net.ppp0 would  also be used for making
DSL connections? I believe it's fairly easy to do so (in fact I use this
approach). For each connection type (56k, DSL,...), a PEER is created in
/etc/ppp/peers and a connection is made using "pppd call <peer-name>".

I know that the current script also uses "pppd call ...", but it also
contains parameters like MODEMPORT="/dev/ttyS1", NUMBER="9180000"  and
LINESPEED="115200".

So I would propose to move the "peer specific" parameters to the
corresponding peer files in /etc/ppp/peers. This way
/etc/init.d/net.ppp0 becomes more clean and all types of ppp connections
are established using the same approach with corresponding config files
in the same place...

In case of rp-pppoe you wouldn't have to use adsl-start and adsl-stop.

Best regards,
Ivan Melotte