From: Dave Love <dlove@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Kerberos questions
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 09:19:37
1 On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 06:15:15PM -0500, jboyens@××××××××.org wrote:
2 > Kerberos 4 support is VERY important... Some of us work at large universities
3 > whose budget/infrastructure doesn't allow for Kerb5 upgrade...
4
5 I've gotten a few emails to this effect, so how about this:
6
7 I'll make each of the three Kerberos packages (kth-krb, krb5 and heimdal)
8 provide "virtual/kerberos" and assume that only one will ever be installed
9 at any given time. I'll add support for the USE flags 'kerberos4' and
10 'kerberos5' with the stated provision that only one should be specified
11 at any time. I don't think I can enforce that, but I hope to create a
12 basic Kerberos HOWTO for the gentoo site that will at least warn against it.
13
14 I'm going to convert one machine here to kerberos4 (kth-krb) and make certain
15 everything at least compiles correctly. I won't have the ability to do much,
16 if any, distributed testing of k4 though.
17
18 If any kerberos users would be willing to try the updated ebuild files, it'd
19 be a great help in making sure I've got this down.
20
21 Also, if anyone knows of any packages that should be updated to enable kerberos
22 support, I'd be happy to update their ebuilds. Just let me know.
23
24 > Good work, BTW. :)
25
26 Thanks! Credit really goes to the gentoo folks though. This distribution
27 makes it very easy to do this kind of thing.
28
29 - Dave