From: Tony Clark <tclark@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] maybe it is time to put portage queries into a database.
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 22:00:02
I wanted to quickly find a package with emerge -s whatever.  I noticed that it
seemed to be taking a long time now for basic searches.  A couple of random
example are presented below.  Now in my case on the machine in question, it
is probably a bit slower than need be as /usr/portage is nfs mounted but
neither the nfs server, this client are what would be called slow machines
and I run 100baset ethernet.

12 months ago I thought the search times where acceptable, nowdays they are
pushing it and with the number of packages going into portage sooner rather
than later it is going to be unacceptal.  I would also suggest a centralised
server approach using something like mysql as apposed to localised databases
based on berekley or something else.  reason being that a number a ppl are
running home lans and they are increasing in popularity and there is no need
to store N machines worth of data. mysql comes to mind as it is a popular
database as there is a good chance that for some other application it is
already running on the network.  I know in my case thats so.

I know this has been discussed in the past but always put down for reasons I
largely agreed with, but the number of packages and times have changed.  I
don't mind helping out with this with some perl etc.  What I was thinking on
for the initial implementation would be just to store the information
required for searching.  I don't see a need to store all dependcies etc so
the installation process actually becomes database driven.  In this case the
queriey times are so short to the actually installation time, no noticable
speed up will take place.

The floor is open, let the flames begin :)

tony

tony@power tony $ time emerge -s zope
Searching...
[ Results for search key : zope ]
[ Applications found : 2 ]

*  app-admin/zope-config
      Latest version available: 0.1-r1
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 0 kB
      Homepage:

*  net-zope/zope
      Latest version available: 2.6.1
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 2,317 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.zope.org
high-performance, dynamic web sites.

real    0m6.968s
user    0m1.310s
sys     0m0.660s

tony@power tony $ time emerge -S zope
Searching...
[ Results for search key : zope ]
[ Applications found : 27 ]

*  app-admin/zope-config
      Latest version available: 0.1-r1
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 0 kB
      Homepage:

*  net-zope/zope
      Latest version available: 2.6.1
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 2,317 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.zope.org
high-performance, dynamic web sites.

*  app-admin/zprod-manager-0.1
      Latest version available: 0.1
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files:  [no/bad digest]
      Homepage:    http://www.gentoo.org/

*  app-admin/zprod-update-0.1 [ Masked ]
      Latest version available: 0.1
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files:  [no/bad digest]
      Homepage:

*  net-zope/abracadabraobject-1.5.1
      Latest version available: 1.5.1
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files:  [no/bad digest]
      Homepage:    http://www.zope.org/Members/mjablonski/AbracadabraObject
ZMI.

*  net-zope/btreefolder2-0.5.0
      Latest version available: 0.5.0
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files:  [no/bad digest]
      Homepage:    http://hathaway.freezope.org/Software/BTreeFolder2/

*  net-zope/cmfcollectorng-0.20
      Latest version available: 0.20
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files:  [no/bad digest]
      Homepage:
http://www.zope.org/Members/ajung/CMFCollectorNG/Wiki/FrontPage

*  net-zope/cmfforum-1.0
      Latest version available: 1.0
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files:  [no/bad digest]
      Homepage:    http://www.sf.net/projects/collective/

*  net-zope/cmfphoto-0.2
      Latest version available: 0.2
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files:  [no/bad digest]
      Homepage:    http://sourceforge.net/projects/collective/

*  net-zope/cmfphotoalbum-0.2
      Latest version available: 0.2
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files:  [no/bad digest]
      Homepage:    http://sourceforge.net/projects/collective/
album.

*  net-zope/extfile-1.2.0_beta2
      Latest version available: 1.2.0_beta2
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files:  [no/bad digest]
      Homepage:    http://www.zope.org/Members/shh/ExtFile

*  net-zope/filesystemsite-1.2
      Latest version available: 1.2
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files:  [no/bad digest]
      Homepage:
http://www.zope.org/Members/k_vertigo/Products/FileSystemSite

*  net-zope/groups-0.3.1
      Latest version available: 0.3.1
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files:  [no/bad digest]
      Homepage:    http://www.zope.org/Members/faassen/Groups

*  net-zope/ldapuserfolder-2.1_beta3
      Latest version available: 2.1_beta3
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files:  [no/bad digest]
      Homepage:    http://www.dataflake.org/software/ldapuserfolder/

*  net-zope/localfs-1.0.0
      Latest version available: 1.0.0
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files:  [no/bad digest]
      Homepage:    http://sourceforge.net/projects/localfs/

*  net-zope/localizer-1.0.0-r1
      Latest version available: 1.0.0-r1
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files:  [no/bad digest]
      Homepage:    http://www.localizer.org
products.

*  net-zope/neoportallibrary-0.9b
      Latest version available: 0.9b
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files:  [no/bad digest]
      Homepage:    http://www.zoper.net/

*  net-zope/parsedxml-1.3.1
      Latest version available: 1.3.1
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files:  [no/bad digest]
      Homepage:    http://www.zope.org/Members/faassen/ParsedXML

*  net-zope/photo-1.2.3
      Latest version available: 1.2.3
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files:  [no/bad digest]
      Homepage:    http://www.zope.org/Members/rbickers/Photo

*  net-zope/plone-1.0.1-r1
      Latest version available: 1.0.1-r1
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files:  [no/bad digest]
      Homepage:    http://plone.org

*  net-zope/squishdot-1.5.0
      Latest version available: 1.5.0
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files:  [no/bad digest]
      Homepage:    http://squishdot.org/
Zope.

*  net-zope/translationservice-0.3
      Latest version available: 0.3
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files:  [no/bad digest]
      Homepage:    http://www.zope.org/Members/efge/TranslationService/

*  net-zope/xmlwidgets-0.8.5
      Latest version available: 0.8.5
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files:  [no/bad digest]
      Homepage:    http://www.zope.org/Members/faassen/XMLWidgets

*  net-zope/zmysqlda-2.0.8
      Latest version available: 2.0.8
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files:  [no/bad digest]
      Homepage:    http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-python

*  net-zope/zphotoslides-1.1-r1 [ Masked ]
      Latest version available: 1.1-r1
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files:  [no/bad digest]
      Homepage:    http://www.zphotoslides.org/

*  net-zope/zpsycopgda-1.1.2
      Latest version available: 1.1.2
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files:  [no/bad digest]
      Homepage:    http://www.initd.org/software/psycopg.py

*  net-zope/zwiki-0.17.0
      Latest version available: 0.17.0
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files:  [no/bad digest]
      Homepage:    http://zwiki.org/

real    1m23.409s
user    0m26.580s
sys     0m11.130s