From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>, Christian Faulhammer <opfer@g.o>, lavajoe@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in app-portage/genlop: ChangeLog genlop-0.30.8.ebuild
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 21:21:15
1 On Wednesday 26 September 2007, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > On 16:11 Wed 26 Sep , Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday 26 September 2007, Christian Faulhammer wrote:
4 > > > Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o>:
5 > > > > Thanks for the tip. I added "failed to install genlop (via dobin)" -
6 > > > > not sure if there is a standard way to do this, as it seems many
7 > > > > ebuilds just do "dobin failed", and some do "failed to install ...".
8 > > >
9 > > > It is mainly to localise which die command caused the halt. So I know
10 > > > of no standard.
11 > >
12 > > if there is just one call to die in a function, then i usually dont
13 > > bother ... but if there are multiple ones (possibly nested), then it can
14 > > easily save time
15 >
16 > Cardoe was just telling me that die messages are not that useful or
17 > time-saving because portage posts the line number of the failure
18 > already.
19
20 true, since portage has added this traceback feature (it hasnt always been
21 there), the need for the message has decreased ... i want to say however that
22 it still isnt 100% correct in some nested situations, but i may be
23 remembering things wrong or outdated ...
24
25 also, ebuilds do change over time, so what line # may be correct one day may
26 not be relevant the next ...
27
28 > That prompts the question, should we get rid of die messages?
29
30 perhaps de-emphasize their general worth, but not get rid of them
31 -mike