From: Bret Towe <magnade@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] rsync speed and space taken
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 17:39:06
1 while waiting for a rsync on one of my computers i noticed
2 there are alot of patchs, gzip, and bzip2 files in portage
3 alot of which i wouldnt think needs to be there
4 x11-base/xfree/files/ for one example
5 sys-devel/gcc/files/ for another
6 im sure there are other places that are just as bad
7
8 find /mdhd/gentoo/gentoo-portage/ -name "*.bz2"|wc -l
9 159
10
11 find /mdhd/gentoo/gentoo-portage/ -name "*.gz"|wc -l
12 62
13
14 even with my local lans rsync mirror serving i think 6 computers currently
15 i dont even use half of those bz2 or gz files and im sure similar goes for
16 alot of the patchs in the tree
17
18 i seem to recall there is a script or somethin, or was, that checked sizes
19 of files in the tree perhaps it should be expanded to file types
20 or better yet watch file counts for files that arent needed
21 so whatever isnt a ebuild, digest, manifest, or changelog
22 considering how long it takes to scan the tree as it is
23 i would think this would help alot
24 and im sure the dialup users wouldnt mind not downloading
25 stuff they would never use
26
27 Bret
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list