From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Services and software which is critical for Gentoo should be developed/run in Gentoo namespace
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 03:52:30
1 On Sun, 13 Sep 2020 12:04:39 -0700
2 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Is openrc critical to Gentoo? it doesn't live on our infra.
5 > Is pkgcore critical to Gentoo? it doesn't live on our infra.
6
7 Both those things are "things employed by users for their systems".
8
9 Neither of those things are integral to any workflow, and are entirely
10 optional.
11
12 But when you file a bug, you rely on bugzilla being maintained by
13 Gentoo Infra, not some 3rd party.
14
15 And when you file a keyword/stable request, you rely on a
16 bugzilla-integrated functionality through nattka to check and verify
17 keywords.
18
19 Subsequently, whether or not you opted into this, nattka is now
20 critical to the workflow of everyone doing keywording/stable requests.
21
22 You can't really say that about pkgcore or openrc.
23
24 But you can say that about the QA Automated Testing service, which
25 mangles gentoo.git and creates sync/gentoo.git, and reports when people
26 broke the tree.
27
28 And that *uses* pkgcore.
29
30 But I'm pretty sure that infrastructure lives on gentoo "somewhere",
31 and if it doesn't, it should.