From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP81 and /home
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 19:33:08
1 On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 11:28 AM Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On 1/19/20 2:19 PM, Alec Warner wrote:
4 > >
5 > > All I want to do is *set* a user's home directory to /home/foo.
6 > >
7 > > Why wouldn't you set the homedirectory to /dev/null then?
10 > Because /dev/null is not /home/foo? Is this a trick question? =)
13 Ahh quoting, I'll try with more context ;)
14
15 Earlier you wrote:
16 ----
17 * The daemon DOES NOT need a home directory for its user.
18 * I DO NOT want to install anything to anyone's home directory.
19 * With respect to user.eclass, I'm proposing that /home be treated
20 EXACTLY THE SAME as it always has been.
21 ---
22
23 So my question is "why not leave the homedir unset, or set it to /dev/null?"
24 The claim is that the daemon doesn't need a home directory, so why are we
25 trying to make one?
26
27 -A