From: Alastair Tse <liquidx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sys-libs/slang - call for maintainer
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 21:14:51
1 On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 15:52 +0200, Jakub Moc wrote:
2 > Hello everyone,
3 >
4 > I've filed a bug about slang-2 version bump [1] more than one year ago.
5 > As it hasn't moved anywhere, I'm sending a call for maintainer here.
6 > It's a pretty important bump for UTF-8 compatibility and is really
7 > needed to get rid of those hackish slang UTF-8 patches in stuff like
8 > app-misc/mc that just tend to break stuff.
9
10 Just a bit of background since I'm listed as the maintainer. I took an
11 interest in this package because it was a direct dependency on a package
12 I maintained, app-editors/jed. Then CJK came along and applied a bunch
13 of patches and somewhere along the line, CJK became the primary
14 maintainer because no one else would.
15
16 As for slang-2, there was no immediate package that required version 2,
17 and I could never get the submitted ebuilds to compile for me, so I left
18 the bug alone.
19
20 I would be grateful for someone to take over this who might have more of
21 an interest in this library as CJK isn't exactly the most manned herd
22 around.
23
24 Just a note for any future maintainers, app-editors/jed-0.99.16 will not
25 work with slang-2. I believe the newer version that was released in
26 April will (although I only just found out about this release today.)
27
28 Cheers,
29
30 Alastair