From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] why do different ebuilds have the same version number?
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 19:06:51
1 On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 10:53:04AM -0700, marduk wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 06:09:38 -0700, "Imran Sher Rafique"
4 > <imran@×××××××.org> said:
5 > > I hope this doesn't come across as too much of a rant.
6 > >
7 > > Summary
8 > > -------
9 > > Is it accepted practice to allow for changes in an ebuild without
10 > > changing the
11 > > ebuild version number?
12 >
13 > Unfortunately yes ;-). This also has been a problem for
14 > packages.gentoo.org code, because I basically have to make a series of
15 > assumptions as to when an ebuild is considered "new" or "updated".
16 > Originally I thought I could just just look at the timestamps on the
17 > ebuilds,
18 Relying on mtime of an ebuild and it's eclass should suffice.
19 Any changes that don't affect any of those timestamps portage won't
20 handle properly from the cache perspective...
21 ~brian
22 --
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list