From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Current Gentoo Git setup / man-in-the-middle attacks
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 08:58:17
1 On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 05:37:01 +0000 (UTC) Duncan wrote:
2 > Andrew Savchenko posted on Sun, 29 Mar 2015 21:04:52 +0300 as excerpted:
3 >
4 > > On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 19:52:38 +0200 Sebastian Pipping wrote:
5 > >> On 29.03.2015 19:39, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
6 > >> > On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 18:41:33 +0200 Sebastian Pipping wrote:
7 > >> >> So I would like to propose that
8 > >> >>
9 > >> >> * support for Git access through https:// is activated,
10 > >> >>
11 > >> >> * Git access through http:// and git:// is deactivated, and
12 > >> >
13 > >> > Some people have https blocked. http:// and git:// must be available
14 > >> > read-only.
15 > >>
16 > >> They would not do online banking over http, right? Why would they run
17 > >> code with root privileges from http?
18 > >
19 > > Gentoo tree access is not even near on the same security scale as online
20 > > banking.
21 >
22 > The point is, if the gentoo tree is compromised and you install from it,
23 > everything you run including that online banking is now effectively
24 > compromised, so it most certainly *IS* at the same security scale as that
25 > online banking. Weakest link in the chain and all that...
26
27 The Gentoo tree is not verified anyway: mirrors distribute it via
28 http, rsync and ftp. And using https for that will create a
29 tremendous stress on mirror's CPUs, so this is a bad approach.
30 Not to mention that https itself is very hapless protocol with tons
31 of vulnerabilities (all SSL versions are affected and most TLS
32 implementations).
33
34 A proper solution will be to use cryptographic verification of
35 downloaded files. Right now we have signed manifests and manifests
36 can be used to verify all other data (ebuilds, distfiles, patches
37 and so on). This is much more reliable solution, since it allows to
38 verify data integrity even for compromised data channels or any
39 infrastructure part not related to keys distribution or signing.
40
41 What we really need is a tool to do such verification. This is work
42 in progress now afaik.
43
44 Best regards,
45 Andrew Savchenko