From: Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o>
To: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: the demise of grub:0
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2016 17:26:42
1 On Thu, 6 Oct 2016 01:54:51 +1300
2 Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 06:04:38 -0500
5 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > What you really want is another template file.
8 >
9 > I'd be happy with that. See the other thread with "grub-2" In the
10 > title.
11 >
12 > > I'm happy with mkconfig, but I did hand-roll my config files before
13 > > that. The docs are out there. However, for whatever reason, it is
14 > > very hard to find examples of simple config files online. The
15 > > official docs try to point you in the direction of mkconfig, and
16 > > since 99% of linux users don't configure their own grub there isn't
17 > > much alternative documentation (and when a distro's solution does
18 > > break the solution usually is based on mkconfig anyway).
19 >
20 > Yeah, the only reason I suggested "a tool" instead of "a template" is
21 > that perhaps there could be a handful of easily detectable things that
22 > generate a more optimal "initial" template.
23 >
24 > Particularly with regards to getting the hard-drive numbers and stuff
25 > right, that's what always concerns me.
26
27 I have attached a somewhat cleaned up and commented version of the
28 hand-written grub config I use at home. Feel free to use as an example
29 for your machines, add it to the wiki and/or the handbook, or make the
30 ebuild install it to /usr/share etc.
31
32 One of the nice things about grub2 is that you no longer need to know
33 or care about the BIOS disk numbers, you can simply use the UUID of the
34 filesystem (and/or the PARTUUID for the kernel).

grub.cfg application/octet-stream