From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dirt: To shove under the rug or not shove under the rug? (aka another round of USE_EXPAND)
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 01:26:02
1 On Wednesday 28 September 2005 00:35, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > What I have done in my ebuilds using USE_EXPAND is add extra IUSE-like
3 > variables, for example:
4 >
5 > IUSE_VIDEO_CARDS="radeon sis mga"
6 > IUSE_INPUT_DEVICES="synaptics wacom"
7 >
8 > for `use video_cards_sis` etc..
9 >
10 > This would allow for possible QA checks. Potentially, portage could look
11 > through and display things at --verbose like:
12 >
13 > [ebuild N ] x11-base/x11-drm-20050807 +dga -nls VIDEO_CARDS="+sis
14 > +mga -radeon" 538 kB [2]
15
16 This output is exactly what my patch gives, but it currently works by
17 inspecting IUSE. However, it should be possible to indirectly pull the
18 information from the above flags instead. Adding support for a
19 USE_EXPAND_HIDDEN var should cover USERLAND and friends as well (although
20 those would still need to be defined in IUSE_USERLAND="...")
21
22 > The main problem with USE_EXPAND right now is that people just don't
23 > realize it exists, so they don't take advantage of it. We need a way to
24 > tell them, such as the --verbose output I suggested and some more
25 > documentation.
26
27 This still doesn't cover the discrepencies in behaviour between different
28 packages though. How to handle that in the short term? einfo and/or ewarn?
31 Jason Stubbs
32 --
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list