From: Benjamin Judas <benni@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Decision to remove stage1/2 from installation documentation
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:00:38
1 And again, we have the same situation that lead to my resignation:
2 People who have absolutely no clue of how releng works scream. Not about
3 "BAD QA!!!11" this time, but about a decision that was made to make work
4 easier.
5
6 What is wrong with you, guys? You all have so good and enlightening
7 ideas! Why does nobody want to be my successor? Come on - my footprints
8 aren't that big!
9
10 Seriously, the reaction of some developers and users smells a bit like
11 Slashdot to me: "OMG! They are removing the 133735t part of gent00!!!".
12 Sounds silly, right? Those people that read the install-docs *carefully*
13 are the only ones being r e a d y to do a stage1-install. If they read
14 carefully they will see the link "Hey, you can still do stage1 - if you
15 want to then read-on over here".
16
17 With some exceptions, most of the people replying to this thread
18 obviously have no clue what tracking down a bug in a stage1 installation
19 means: It's a lottery - especially if the user has nearly no knowledge
20 of the backgrounds and can only tell you: "!!! ERROR in foo/bar-0.8.15".
21
22 I'd like all of you to keep this in mind. Gentoo isn't a
23 garage-distribution anymore and I tend to say (though I don't know the
24 exact number of received mails) that those who complained at www@ didn't
25 read the whole story about the "removal" and are really a minority.
26
27 Also, why a GLEP for that? A GLEP for removing something from the
28 handbook? Wow! Bureaucracy-wise Gentoo seems to get more and more
29 european.
30
31 Regards
32
33 Benjamin "beejay, the former x86-monkey" Judas