From: Ryan Phillips <rphillips@g.o>
To: Maik Schreiber <blizzy@g.o>
Cc: rphillips@g.o, spider@g.o, gentoo-core@g.o, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] on the matter of security and cryptography
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 10:31:22
1 * Maik Schreiber <blizzy@g.o> [2002-08-05 08:21]:
2 >
3 > > As for a keyring - all a developer has to do is create their own key,
4 > > and verify the fingerprint with someone... Doing a three way phone call
5 > > would work
6 >
7 > No, it wouldn't.
8 >
9 > > one person is someone we all trust,
10 >
11 > Exactly _who_ is that person we all trust? I don't know any of the other
12 > devs personally, and when it comes to key(rings), I don't trust any of
13 > them either (no offense intended).
14 >
15 > > the other person is
16 > > there to verify the fingerprint (as is the first person), and the last
17 > > person is the person being added to the keyring... A simple challenge
18 > > and response...
19 >
20 > I'd rather trust seemant or drobbins or whoever granted CVS access for
21 > Gentoo. Every dev can put their public key on the dev machine for one
22 > keyring manager to sign them. (This can be done by a 1777 chmod'ed
23 > directory.)
24
25 This is just another way of a challenge/response. I challenge you
26 to login into the CVS machine. The same methodology applies.
27
28 Why not have a key signing party at linux world?
29
30 -r