From: Christian Hergl <weehawk@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Installing 1.0-rc6-r9 on Vaio Laptop
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 15:16:42
1 Hi Daniel,
2
3 Daniel Robbins wrote
4
5 > OK: PCMCIA support currently isn't tested or fully enabled. Also, we *do* have
6 > support for every filesystem on the boot CD; however, you need to "insmod" the
7 > modules with -r9 and earlier. Things should be much easier with -r10, which
8 > includes modprobe.
11 Well, the pcmcia modules worked for me as provided in the build =) But
12 short noted about how to insmod/modprobe the pcmcia or the filesystem
13 modules. Can save fuzz, I suppose.
17 > pcmcia-cs seems to choke when you use certain configuration options. What
18 > config options did you use? We made our options more correct, and all of
19 > the sudden the builds started dying.
22 Hmm, tried a standart thing, really! Just erased the lvm and lm-sensors
23 from the USE-Variabe, as it is of no use on my laptop. I manually copied
24 the pcmcia-cs startup script over, and seems to work, but I suppose
25 that'S one of the ebuilds that is not r6 ready, as it copied stuff to
26 rc.d/config, or at least should?
30 > A Gentoo Linux version of the pcmcia startup script (with dependencies) is
31 > currently in development.
34 I will try to learn the new startupscripts, but was discussing with
35 darks today earlier: is it possible to update savely the bootstraps?
36 BEcause I have V 1.6.1 AND 1.6.2 in var/db/pkg... (last time I
37 deinstalled a double package, I killed the system, it was the glibc....
38 yes, I'm playfull)
42 > What do you mean by "mount/umount and du don't work"?
45 Ah ja, worked wit Darks on that again. Seems like my startup scripts are wacko behaving.
46
47 My /etc/mtab is a file of length 0. When I do 'ln -s /proc/mounts /etc/mtab', mount and
48
49 df and booting works fine. Till.... yeah, the next reboot. Then I got a file of length
50
51 0 again =P
52 Some script of the r9 is messing this up, searching for it....
56 >>6. Yah, and with the yesterday's version of the portage tree I can't
57 >>compile Xfree. Period, any version. Is that knowen yet? If not, tell me
58 >>and I look up the exact lines where it bounces out (short after the
59 >>depencies calculation, I guess)
62 > Yes, please post the error dump.
65 Eh, sue me, with the latest rsync and latest xfree ebuild things worked.
66 Kde2.2 is up and running. Though I get compile errors with
67 kdemultimedia....
68
69 Sound is working. The desktop doku might need to be updated for the new scripts?
70
71 Like, starting kde at bootup and stuff. =P
74 To speak about ebuilds getting reworked... is there any chance to mark
75 the reworked ebuilds for r6? Just like .... ebuildxyz_r6-rx.ebuild? I'm
76 confused now which might work and which not.... OR should I just wait
77 three weeks and all is done then?
78
79 Thanks for your answer, is fun to work with Gentoo,
82 Christian