From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Project proposal -- maintainer-wanted
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 14:49:05
1 AllenJB wrote:
2 >
3 > All that's going to happen is Gentoo will have many many buggy and out
4 > of date packages in the MAIN TREE. Exactly where they shouldn't be. You
5 > claim quality won't be sacrificed, but I simply can't see this without
6 > any attempt to solve the manpower issues first.
7 >
8 > Isn't the purpose of this project already somewhat covered by Sunrise?
9
10 I have to agree with your points. We need to have quality standards for
11 packages. Currently we have a couple of tiers:
12
13 1. Main tree - every ebuild has an official maintainer and gets prompt
14 security updates/etc. New features might get a little more stale, but
15 you aren't going to be running at risk if you only use the main tree and
16 routinely emerge -u world. If a package falls behind on security it
17 gets masked and booted.
18
19 2. Overlays - you're on your own and at the general mercy of the
20 overlay maintainer.
21
22 3. Sunrise (just a special case of an overlay) - somewhere in-between.
23 Again, you have to opt-in.
24
25 I think that we still need to have defined levels of quality, so if we
26 start putting unmaintained stuff in the main tree then we absolutely
27 need to preserve a mechanism for users to indicate what level of quality
28 they desire. Users running a typical install shouldn't inadvertently
29 have dependencies pulled in which aren't fully controlled for security
30 issues.
31
32 Could something like sunrise be integrated into the main tree? Sure.
33 However, there would need to be lots of rules and QA checks like
34 non-sunrise packages not depending on sunrise packages and the sunrise
35 packages are somehow clearly marked. Maybe even an ACCEPT_QUALITY =
36 "good-luck-with-that" setting or something like that in make.conf. We
37 might also need tiered levels of security in cvs. I'm not convinced
38 that in the end it will be any better than just having those who are
39 interested add an overlay to their tree.
40
41 Maybe a better option would be a way to make overlays more seamless.
42 Additionally we could have rating categories for overlays like "security
43 responsiveness," "currency with upstream," etc. The gentoo project
44 would ask overlays to declare their policies as a condition of being
45 accessible via the seamless interface, and would drop overlays if they
46 don't follow their policies. It would still be easy for users to pick
47 non-standard overlays but it would be clear that they are venturing off
48 on their own if they do this (just as is the case with layman today).
49
50 Sure, I'd love to see an extra 1000 supported packages in portage, but
51 the key is "supported", not just shoveled-in.