From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI usage
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 13:15:56
1 On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 9:04 AM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > The primary benefit to the policy that dev's should bump EAPI when
4 > bumping ebuilds is so that older inferior EAPIs can be deprecated and
5 > eventually removed from the tree.
6
7 What is the benefit from removing the old EAPIs?
10 > Take, for example, the sub-slot and slot-operator support that will
11 > hopefully be applied as part of EAPI=5 -- when this is integrated
12 > across the tree, there will be little to no purpose for revdep-rebuild
13 > and/or @preserved-libs. But this tree-wide integration would never
14 > happen if said policy didn't exist, ie, I think this is a good example
15 > of "interests of others".
16
17 Then ask nicely for everybody to implement these features, and make it
18 a policy if necessary.
19
20 Simply bumping an ebuild to EAPI=5 doesn't even guarantee that either
21 of those features would be used anyway.
22
23 If there is a benefit from some specific practice, then let's adopt
24 it. However, I don't think that is the same as just bumping EAPIs for
25 their own sake.
26
27 When there is a benefit to adopting a new EAPI of course maintainers
28 should try to take advantage of it. If there are specific changes we
29 want to try to make tree-wide let's try to do that too. But, why bump
30 ebuilds from 0 to 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 when your only example of an
31 end-user benefit would have been achieved if we just bumped from 0 to
32 5 in one step?
33
34 Rich