From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: udev <-> mdev
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 00:10:16
1 On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 05:58:25AM +0000, Duncan wrote
2
3 > They're seriously thinking about (and may be planning on) removing
4 > that option from the kernel entirely, to keep people configuring
5 > their first kernels from getting themselves in trouble, but of
6 > course that's now part of the kernel/userspace interface, so it
7 > isn't allowed to just disappear like kernel/kernel interfaces can.
8
9 A couple of points...
10 1) Your "argument" applies to just about anything in the kernel
11 configuration process. If you don't follow instructions, the kernel
12 will encounter anything from partial loss of functionality to possibly
13 failing to boot at all. I'm a big boy. If I foul up, I'll admit that I
14 goofed.
15
16 2) Full disclosure; I do have an interest in retaining the hotplug
17 pointer mechanism. I have mdev set up on my machines as per
18 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev
19
20 Going one step further, I have auto(un)mount working on my machines
21 as per https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev/Automount_USB and
22 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev/Automount_USB/automount This has been
23 working OK for me for a few weeks, and I've asked others to test on
24 their machines. I'll still consider it beta (Work In Progress) until
25 other people confirm it works for them. Once that's done, my next
26 project might be "custom mdev rules", similar to "custom udev rules".
29 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>