From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: bootstrapping since gcc 3.4 is stable
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 15:56:08
1 On Thursday 26 January 2006 16:40, Mikey wrote:
2 > On Thursday 26 January 2006 08:12, Chris Gianelloni spammed:
3 > > Something else that *everybody* seems to be missing is that the *first*
4 > > method in the GCC upgrading guide, which is the one that would apply
5 > > from a fresh-installed system, seems to be completely overlooked by all
6 > > the naysayers. Funny how if someone actually read the entire document,
7 > > they'd see just how much of their own time they're wasting.
8 >
9 > Have you even read the bug reports and forum threads on upgrading gcc via
10 > that method?
11
12 Well, with my just completed stage 1, I can tell you that there is absolutely
13 no binary on the system that actually links to libstdc++. As such the result
14 of using revdep-rebuild is absolutely zip. This means you can actually skip
15 that whole step. Be aware though that this is with the current x86-2005.1-r1
16 stage1 and x86-2005.1 profile, and may or may not be true in the future.
17
18 As such you can just run
19 # emerge --oneshot sys-libs/libstdc++-v3
20 # emerge -aC =sys-devel/gcc-3.3*
21 as suggested. You could even leave out the first step as it's not absolutely
22 essential. It's more of a know what you're doing thing though.
23
24 Paul
27 Paul de Vrieze
28 Gentoo Developer