From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] freebsd.eclass change
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 18:12:19
1 On 07/02/2012 02:02 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Monday 02 July 2012 13:37:53 Richard Yao wrote:
3 >> On 07/02/2012 10:54 AM, Alexis Ballier wrote:
4 >>> hu? yes, as already pointed out, uname is not reliable when
5 >>> cross-compiling. You should use CHOST, and then you get tc-arch-kernel.
6 >>> See freebsd-lib ebuild for how it is handled.
7 >>
8 >> In that case, it should be 'local arch=$(tc-arch-kernel)'. Using
9 >> tc-arch-kernel by itself causes problems when building on Linux, because
10 >> x86 can be passed, which FreeBSD's build system does not understand.
11 >
12 > the function specifically handles freebsd in this case. why isn't that code
13 > sufficient ?
14 >
15 >> Also, this function is not meant for cross compilation.
16 >
17 > then it doesn't really belong in the tree. native builds are just a special
18 > case of cross-compiling.
19 > -mike
20
21 The idea is to use this to assist in building parts of FreeBSD on Linux
22 for Linux (or on Prefix for whatever platform it runs). Anyway, I will
23 keep this in ebuilds until it has several ebuilds using it. Then we can
24 revisit it.