From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] vala.eclass: change vala_src_prepare behavior when USE=-vala
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 18:15:39
1 On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
2 > El jue, 20-09-2012 a las 10:14 -0400, Ian Stakenvicius escribió:
4 >> Hash: SHA256
5 >>
6 >> On 20/09/12 09:52 AM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
7 >> > On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 09:13:40 -0400 Ian Stakenvicius
8 >> > <axs@g.o> wrote:
9 >> >> PMS may not need to be fixed, just the spec
10 >> >
11 >> > PMS is the spec, and it doesn't need fixing, since it accurately
12 >> > reflects the situation we're dealing with.
13 >> >
14 >>
15 >> Sorry, I misread PMS as PMs (portage, paludis, etc).
16 >>
17 >> And, for support to be official for ebuilds or eclasses to query IUSE
18 >> (or other globals) within phase functions, then the 'spec' (PMS) is
19 >> probably all that needs to be 'fixed'. Right?
20 >>
21 >> So, in EAPI=6, we propose something that'll make it official (ie a
22 >> querying function; or ensure that PMs can provide these variables
23 >> along with their proper 'effective' values, or their in-ebuild
24 >> 'explicit' values, or whatever it is we want to say can be relied
25 >> upon, to the environment).
28 > The problem of waiting for eapi6 to specify CURRENT behavior is that we
29 > don't know how much time will need to wait until it's approved (as I
30 > think eapi5 cannot include this "extra" function as was approved some
31 > hours ago). Other option would be to fast release some kind of eapi5.1
32 > adding this... but, again, I think we are discussing about something
33 > that could be resolved as simply as specifying current behavior for all
34 > existing eapis (as we are in fact doing in the tree) and rely on new
35 > eapis for future hypothetical changes on it.
36
37 The key question is: How would you formally describe the current behavior?
38
39 I think someone already noted it's not reliable behavior in all places.
42 :wq