From: Vano D <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Embedded
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:35:28
1 On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 21:29, Spider wrote:
2 > > I wonder if it would be possible to somehow remotely "mount" the rest
3 > > of
4 > > the stuff such as gcc/python etc.. as with portage. So this way the
5 > > system would be completely clean and when it needs to be updated a
6 > > script would mount/link the tools from a remote system and after its
7 > > done upgrading it would unlink and we are left with a lean clean
8 > > system.
9 >
10 > http://ovlfs.sf.net/ (if I recall correctly) might be the thing here.
11
12 What an idea! Never thought of such a thing. Definitly worth a look.
13
14 > Another alternative is to use a staging machine to build binaries, then
15 > simply untar the .tbz2 files, instead of using portage to do it. (evil
16 > solution actually ;)
17
18 > After that, some manual pruning should get the things in order.
19
20 Yeah really evil. I guess this is what some people do. But I would
21 prefer to have portage do the stuff instead of getting worries that I
22 might have forgotten to fix a file or something..
23
24 > Though, for a server you don't gain anything in security by removing
25 > compilers and development tools. perhaps in complexity and size, though.
26
27 Well. Regarding security that is a bit relative. You do gain in the
28 sense that the cracker has one less tool/option at hand and hence you
29 gain a little bit more of the higher ground against the attacker. The
30 less options/possibilites the cracker has the harder (even if its only a
31 little bit) it gets to penetrate (although not impossible of course).
32
33 Also as you state it is nice to have a simple clean lean system with a
34 small footprint.
35
36 I really don't know how valid my assumptions are, but I am willing to
37 give it a shot to see what comes out of a de-Gentooizable Gentoo ;)
38
39 Cheers,
40
41 Vano