From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: virtual/init for init process
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2018 15:10:29
1 On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 3:20 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > In the past, openrc has had a dependency on sysvvinit because it called
5 > killall5. Since it doesn't do that any more, I have been asked to remove
6 > the dependency [1]. Another advantage of doing this is that people will
7 > be able to build profiles without an init package, for containers for
8 > example.
9 >
10 > To do this, I need to add virtual/init for packages that have an init
11 > process. then add virtual/init to profiles/base/packages.
12 >
13 > Please proofread virtual/init as attached before I add it to the tree.
14
15 If this is really intended to pull in any program that could feasibly
16 be used as PID 1, there are probably multiple providers missing. A
17 couple off the top of my head:
18
19 sys-apps/busybox
20 sys-apps/openrc (openrc-init)
21
22 If the virtual is meant to represent something else (as I suspect it
23 is), please elaborate.