From: Jason Mobarak <jmob@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] portage-ng concurse entry Was: Updated Portage project page
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 19:10:47
1 On 14:24 Sat 06 Dec , Alastair Tse wrote:
2 [...]
3 > However, that python startup time is negligible compared to calling
4 > "import portage" where it loads the portdb from disk. For instance, the
5 > newest portage calls portageq continuously, and every instance of it
6 > does "import portage" which is really slow on my machine. When I say
7 > slow, that is a bit more than 2 seconds (5 seconds before disk cache).
8 > But if it runs that for every package I have in world, then that is
9 > 461*2 ~ 920seconds just for calling "import portage".
10 [...]
11
12 Unless it creates a new python process every time -- calling "import portage"
13 multiple times within a python runtime will only load the portage library once.
14 Which, from looking at ebuild.sh it appears to reload the portage library
15 constantly (in the case I think you meant to describe), which implies bad design
16 and another reason (as drobbins stated) portage's performance hit pertains to a
17 reliance on bash. Again, another reason working on portage modularisation
18 pertains to greater speed and better design... ;)
22 ----------Jason-A-Mobarak-~
23 -aether-at-gentoo-dot-org-~
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list