From: Chris White <chriswhite@g.o>
To: Sebastian Bergmann <sb@××××××××××××××××××.de>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: emerge suggestions
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 22:12:20
1 Sebastian Bergmann wrote:
2
3 >Philippe Trottier wrote:
6 >>--time option would be nice as it could give a reference to how
7 >>much time does it take for each packages
11 > On a related note I think it would be nice to store the time needed for
12 > each ebuild to merge and use this information in the output of "emerge
13 > -vp <package>":
14 >
15 > wopr-mobile ~ # emerge -vp openoffice-ximian
16 >
17 > These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
18 >
19 > Calculating dependencies ...done!
20 > [ebuild U ] app-office/openoffice-ximian-1.3.3 [1.3.2]
21 > -debug +gnome -kde -ooo-kde 993 kB 0d:06h:30m
22 >
23 > Total size of downloads: 993 kB
24 > Total time estimated: 0d:06h:30m
25 >
26 > Just a thought,
27 >Sebastian
31 How are you going to effectively measure the times? CFLAGS can slow your
32 emerge, or speed it up quite significantly if you don't/do set them
33 correctly. I think this is probably why portage devs never took this
34 into account (or maybe they did and I'm just not aware of it). As for
35 genlop, that is best used as an "after the fact" log parser, so that you
36 can give other users estimates of how long compilation takes based on
37 what their compile time was. My 2 cents(r).
40 Chris White <chriswhite@g.o>
42 Sound | Video | Security
43 ChrisWhite @ irc.freenode.net