From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] You currently cannot smoothly upgrade a 4 months old Gentoo system
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 15:52:25
1 On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 11:03 AM Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > This is not about finding solution to upgrade the system (in this case
4 > it was enough to force PYTHON_TARGETS=python3_8 for portage). This is
5 > about raising awareness that Gentoo is a rolling distribution and that
6 > we guarantee users to be able to upgrade their system when they do world
7 > upgrades just once a year (remember: in my case the last world upgrade
8 > is just 4 months old!). If they cannot upgrade their system without
9 > manual intervention, we failed to do our job.
10
11 Do we have this "guarantee" documented somewhere? I thought I've
12 heard six months tossed around. You say one year. It seems
13 reasonable to have some sort of guideline like this and try to stick
14 with it, at least for @system.
15
16 (I had a painful update on a container that was about six months old a
17 little while ago - I just did updates from git checkouts (which isn't
18 guaranteed to work due to distfiles issues). Obviously
19 troubleshooting a container where a rollback is a one-liner is a lot
20 easier, but progressive updates also tend to require a lot of
21 semi-redundant updates.)
24 Rich