From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Git braindump: 1 of N: merging & git signing
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 13:41:34
1 On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 8:45 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Well, it doesn't seem like a big deal IF there's an explicit merge
4 > commit that's signed by a dev.
5
6 I'm not sure about that. If you were verifying a tree, how would you
7 identify which commits were merged in by what dev, using an automated
8 algorithm?
9
10 The only thing the merge commit contains is a list of two parents, and
11 a tree. It doesn't say which one is which, unless we can rely on
12 their order. Now, all those intermediate commits were never actually
13 published via rsync, so their integrity isn't a direct issue.
14 However, I'm not sure how easy automated verification would be.
15
16 Rich