From: Svyatogor <svyatogor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Fonts, Xfree, Linux
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 13:25:55
1 On Friday 30 May 2003 09:30, Seemant Kulleen wrote:
2 > OK, the above combination, as we all know, blows dogs. Having said that, I
3 > have some ideas. First, to reiterate as in my last e-mail: xfree-4.3.0-r3
4 > is moving towards *NOT* installing *ANY* fonts at all. All the xfree
5 > built-in fonts will move to separate packages in media-fonts. Additionally
6 > *ALL* fonts will be in /usr/share/fonts, rather than
7 > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts (and I had to hold back from exaggerating it to
8 > say /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/R6/include/lib/X/X11/X11R6/misc/lib/fonts :P).
9
10 Hello!
11 If you don't mind me giving some comments on it. The idea to move all the
12 fonts to /usr/share/fonts is great and actually it is necessary, cause
13 otherwise the whole font tre is a big mess.
14
15 However, I am not so sure about the first part of the suggestion, which is not
16 installing any fonts with xfree. When I first installed gentoo, I remember
17 being very please with the fact that after emerging xfree I got a proper
18 support of cyrillic fonts staringht away. I did not have it in any other
19 distro: they all required me to install additional packages to get something
20 different from default fonts, which have very ugly cyrullic chars or don't
21 support them at all.
22
23 What I am trying basically to say, is that users should be getting reasonable
24 set of fonts, with proper support of their local chars right after installing
25 xfree and not have to search in portage to get at least some fonts with their
26 local glyphs.
27
28 Regards,
29 --